Assemblymember Mike A. Gipson is taking it to the streets. The uptick of gun violence throughout the 64th District, particularly South L.A., Compton, Watts/Willowbrook, Carson and Wilmington is devastating.
In response to residents’ concerns, Assemblymember Gipson has organized a Rally Against Gun Violence at 6 p.m. on Friday, July 13, 2018 at the southeast corner of Manchester Avenue and Vermont Avenue in South Los Angeles.
The public is encouraged to bring a pair of shoes belonging to or representing a victim lost to gun violence. Shoes will be placed as a memorial at the intersection.
“Enough is enough,” says Gipson. “We want to send a clear message to Washington D.C. of what we experience on almost a daily basis.
The White House and Republican lawmakers have no idea of our level of pain and suffering. I was born and raised in this district.
There aren’t too many degrees of separation between the victims and myself. I go to the funerals. I comfort families and friends. I see the pain in the eyes of mothers.”
Gipson added, “There are powerful gun lobbyists and some elected officials that feel any additional gun control laws are unnecessary. They are wrong. If it were their child or family member, it would quickly become necessary.”
Confirmed partners include clergy and community organizations include:
· LAPD Chief Michel R. Moore
· Sheriff Jim McDonnel
· Parents of Murdered Children – L.A. Chapter
· Justice for Murdered Children
· Project Cry No More
· Gentle Giants
· Homebody Industries
· Jennifer Rivers (mother of Tavin Price)
· Watts Century Latino Organization
· United Wilmington Youth Foundation
· SBCC (South Bay Center for Counseling) – Thrive L.A. – Wilmington
· L.A. County District Attorney’s Office – Shari Farmer
· Big Homies
· Southern California Cease Fire
· Watts Gang Task Force
· Boys and Girls Club – Watts
· LAPD Southeast GRID
· Project Fatherhood
· Watts Neighborhood Council
· Gang Talk Radio
· In Loving Hands
· I Heart Wilmington
· I Heart Watts
· Crossroads – Paul Corrio
· Dr. Richard Vladovic – LAUSD board member
· Residential Advisory Councils (Gonzaq, Imperial Courts, Nickerson Gardens)
· National Action Network
· Journey Out – Stephanie Powell