Relay For Life of Baldwin Hills 2018
and the communities of Ladera Heights, View Park, Windsor Hills, Crenshaw, and Leimert Park
A 24 hour event starting on June 23rd at 9 am
Ending at 9 am on June 24th
Yvonne B. Burke Athletic Complex (Baseball Field)
5401 S. Fairfax between Stocker and Slauson
What is Relay For Life?
Relay For Life of Baldwin Hills is a fun and unique 24-hour walkathon to increase cancer awareness while raising much-needed funds for the American Cancer Society’s patient service programs, cancer research, advocacy and community education. Teams composed of 8 to 24 people formed by local businesses, community groups and friends & families will be raising funds before the event. At Relay, team members take turns walking around the track, Relay-style and enjoy games, food, fun, activities and entertainment throughout the day and night.
We CelebrateCancer Survivors
Survivors are invited to join us as our honorary guests in the Survivors’ Lap, which kicks off Relay For Life. Wearing their purple t-shirts and medals presented to them by Relay volunteers at the event, survivors take the first lap together, and then are treated to breakfast. Cancer Survivors’ strength and courage help the community see that cancer survivorship is real – that we are making progress in the battle against cancer.
We Rememberthose we have lost to cancer
At 9 pm, the light of Luminaria bags glow in the darkness, lighting our way through the night. Each Luminaria has written on it the name of a loved one lost to cancer or one who is a cancer survivor as well as a personal heartfelt message. These Luminaria remind us that we walk for the lives that cancer has touched.
We Fight Back!
No one should have to hear the words “You have cancer,” so we do everything we can to make sure that participants are educated not only about prevention and detection of cancer, but also about the American Cancer Society’s free programs and services for patients and their families. Help us fight back against cancer by joining us at Relay!
Teaming Up for the Fight…How You Can Help
- Form a team. Teams come from friends, family, businesses, clubs, families, hospitals, faith-based groups, schools, and service organizations.
- Become a sponsor. Show your community that you care! Please contact the event chair for more details.
- Join the committee. Do you have great planning skills and a drive to wipe out cancer? This is a great opportunity to give back to your community and help plan this fulfilling and worthwhile event.
- Volunteer the day of the event. There are many volunteer opportunities available that need your support.
- Become a volunteer for local American Cancer Society programs and servicessuch as Road to Recovery, Look Good Feel Better, Man to Man, Reach to Recovery and many more!Register online at: www.RelayForLife.org/BaldwinHillsCA
For more information, please contact:
Madeline Wilson: [email protected] 213.407.1640
Kimberlee Smith: [email protected] 310.346.8968
Troy Green: [email protected]