Monday, December 9, 2019
CLOSE
 
Man Charged with Killing Nipsey Hussle Retains Christopher Darden
By Sentinel News Wire
Published April 5, 2019

LOS ANGELES (AP) — The man charged with killing rapper Nipsey Hussle was ordered held on $5 million bail after pleading not guilty Thursday to murder and attempted murder charges.

Eric R. Holder Jr., 29, making his first court appearance after Sunday’s shooting and subsequent two-day manhunt, spoke only to say “yeah” to Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Teresa Sullivan’s questions.

His attorney, Christopher Darden who is privately by Holders family, did not dispute the bail amount, which the prosecution requested. Darden declined comment after the hearing.

Holder is charged with murder and two counts of attempted murder in connection with the attack outside Hussle’s The Marathon clothing store on Sunday that left the rapper dead and two other men wounded.

No additional details about motive were released during Thursday’s hearing.

Darden, who gained nationwide fame as part of the prosecution team at O.J. Simpson’s 1995 murder trial, argued before the hearing against allowing media outlets to shoot photos and video in the courtroom, saying that the prosecution has not established with certainty that they have the right person, and publicizing his image would interfere with Holder getting a fair trial.

LOS ANGELES, CA – FEBRUARY 1: Christopher Darden (standing), one of the prosecuting attorneys in the O.J. Simpson murder trial, addresses 01 February 1995 the court during a hearing on whether a conversation between Simpson and Ronald Shipp, a former Los Angeles police officer and confidant, could be admitted as evidence. Defendant O.J. Simpson is far right, prosecutor Marcia Clark is lower left, and second is defense attorney Carl Douglas. (COLOR KEY:Darden has red tie.) AFP PHOTO (Photo credit should read POO/AFP/Getty Images)

“The issue of identity is still in question,” Darden said.

Deputy District Attorney John McKinney argued that identity will not be an issue in the case, and said that Holder’s photo had already been widely spread during the hunt for him.

Sullivan ruled that the cameras could remain.

Holder and Hussle, who knew each other, had several conversations throughout the day Sunday before Holder eventually returned with a handgun and shot Hussle, authorities allege.

If convicted, Holder faces life in prison.

In 2012 he pleaded no contest to possession of a loaded firearm and was sentenced to six months in jail and three years’ probation. The case filed Thursday includes a charge that he was a felon in possession of a gun during the attack on Hussle.

He was ordered to return to court for another hearing May 10.

Holder fled the scene in a car driven by a woman who has since been interviewed by police and released, police Lt. Chris Ramirez said.

Hussle, 33, was engaged to actress Lauren London, with whom he had a 2-year-old son. He had another daughter from a previous relationship.

 

Categories: Daily Briefs | Uncategorized
Tags: | | | | |

Get the Los Angeles Sentinel App!



Since 1933 The Voice of Our Community Speaking for Itself.
86 Years of LA Sentinel.
Black News.
SEARCH:    
Videos


Photo of the Day

Events

LA Sentinel
in your pocket:





TOS-Cookbook-Web

LA Watts Times

© 2019 Los Angeles Sentinel All Rights Reserved • A Bakewell Media Publication

AboutArchivesContact UsCorrections & MisprintsMedia Kit

Terms of ServicePrivacy Policy

LA Watts TimesTaste of Soul

Close / I'm already on the list

Subscribe Today!

Don't be limited anymore! Subscribe Now »

** Existing subscribers, please Login / Register for Digital »

Subscribe to The Los Angeles Sentinel for only $5.99 $3.99 per month, with 1 month free!

Relax in comfort each week as you read the printed newspaper on your own time, delivered weekly to your home or office. This subscription also includes UNLIMITED DIGITAL ACCESS for all of your devices. Includes FREE shipping! One easy payment of $3.99/month gets you:

Subscribe Now »