Sheriff’s detectives are asking for public help to find whoever carried out the fatal vehicle-to-vehicle shooting of a 26-year-old man in Compton last year.
A gunman in an SUV fired shots into a vehicle driven by Marquise Lawrence, who was headed east on Johnson Street approaching Willowbrook Avenue, at around 5 p.m. on March 18, 2015, said Deputy Lillian Peck of the Sheriff’s Information Bureau said.
The rounds struck Lawrence and his vehicle careened into a concrete barrier. He was pronounced dead at a hospital, Peck said.
The suspect was a black man, 20-25 years old, heavy-set, with an Afro two and three inches long, authorities said. He fled the scene in a 1990s-era blue SUV, possibly a Chevrolet Tahoe, and was last seen headed north on Acacia Avenue from Johnson Street, she said.
The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors has authorized a $10,000 reward offer for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person responsible for Lawrence’s death, she said.
Sheriff’s homicide detectives asked anyone with information on the shooting to call them at (323) 890-5500.