Kaiser Permanente hospitals are among the best in the nation for delivering high-quality care, according to U.S. News & World Report’s 2022-23 “Best Hospitals” rankings released on July 26.
For the second year in a row, every one of Kaiser Permanente’s 39 hospitals nationwide, including all 15 in Southern California, were rated among the top 20% in the nation as high performing in at least one of 35 different specialties, conditions and procedures, according to U.S. News.
Additionally, eight Kaiser Permanente hospitals in Southern California ranked among the state’s Top 50, and one – Los Angeles Medical Center – ranked 34th in the nation for the specialty of neurology & neurosurgery.
“This accolade is a testament to Kaiser Permanente’s firm commitment to providing our members in Southern California and beyond with world-class care and service,” said Julie Miller-Phipps, president, Kaiser Permanente Southern California and Hawaii, Health Plan and Hospitals.
“This could not have happened without the dedication of our hard-working employees, physicians, nurses and other health care professionals, who day-in and day-out go the extra mile to ensure our members’ needs are met.”
Dr. Ramin Davidoff, executive medical director for the Southern California and Hawaii Permanente Medical Groups, noted this prestigious recognition is also partly due to the exceptional care and individualized attention provided by caring physicians to Kaiser Permanente’s 4.8 million members in Southern California.
“Our patients know they can count on us to practice medicine that results in the best possible health outcomes,” he explained. “The doctors at Kaiser Permanente go above and beyond the call of duty every day in providing high-quality and compassionate care. This accolade is also the result of the great teamwork that takes place at our hospitals and medical offices, where everyone is a contributing partner for the benefit of our members.”
U.S. News listed eight Kaiser Permanente hospitals in Southern California as being ranked among the state’s best. They were:
- Los Angeles Medical Center – tied for 20th. LAMC also ranked 34th nationally for neurology and neurosurgery.
- Anaheim/Irvine Medical Centers – tied for 21st.
- San Diego/ Zion Medical Centers – tied for 26th.
- Fontana/Ontario Medical Centers – tied for 33rd.
- Downey Medical Center – tied for 42nd.
U.S. News also rated several Kaiser Permanente Southern California hospitals as “high performing” or “nationally ranked” for six specialties:
- Pulmonology and Lung Surgery: Anaheim/Irvine, Los Angeles, and San Diego/Zion medical centers.
- Geriatrics: Anaheim/Irvine, Los Angeles medical centers.
- Gastroenterology & GI surgery: Anaheim/Irvine medical centers.
- Orthopedics: Anaheim/Irvine, Los Angeles medical centers.
- Neurology and Neurosurgery: Los Angeles medical centers.
U.S. News considered more than 4,500 hospitals for its 33rd annual rankings/ratings report.