YG in Los Angeles a couple days after his second album, Still Brazy, was released.
(GL Askew II for NPR)

Sheriff’s homicide bureau detectives served a search warrant today at a home leased by rapper YG in connection with a shootout that took place earlier this month in Compton and made one arrest.

The warrant was served early today in the 1600 block of Blue Jay Way in the Trousdale Estates area above Sunset Boulevard in the Sunset Strip area, said Deputy Marvin Crowder.

“Several people were detained,” Crowder said.

The rapper YG was not at home during the search, Deputy Grace Medrano said. Detectives arrested 29-year-old Tyquan Williams on a weapons charge.

He is being held on $25,000 bail.

It was unclear what deputies may have taken from the home.

The search stemmed from a deputy-involved shooting that took place about 11:20 p.m. July 3 at the corner of Spruce Street and Aranbe Avenue and claimed the life of Rickie Cornell Starks, 65, of Compton.

Deputies got into a shootout with an occupant of a fleeing SUV, and Starks was apparently caught in the crossfire, sheriff’s Lt. Derrick Alfred said.

Authorities confirmed that the SUV connected with the chase and shootout was registered in the name of rapper YG.

A sheriff’s department statement released after the shooting said: “Investigators can confirm that the information being widely reported regarding the suspect vehicle being registered to Keenon Jackson, AKA ‘YG,’ is accurate. The 2018 black Cadillac Escalade is reportedly a company car registered in the name of Keenon Jackson with an address in Sherman Oaks … Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau will not be commenting further regarding Mr. Jackson or the vehicle at this time, as this is an ongoing criminal investigation.”

Deputies from the Compton sheriff’s station initiated the pursuit of the Cadillac for suspected reckless driving or DUI, Deputy Grace Medrano said.

Someone in the Escalade opened fire on the deputies with a high- powered assault rife and they returned fire at Spruce Street and Aranbe Avenue, Medrano said.

Deputies came under fire a second time in the 1900 block of 199thStreet and returned fire, Medrano said.

The Escalade sped away, followed by a sheriff’s department helicopter to Inglewood and a suspect on the passenger side fired several shots at that helicopter, possibly striking the aircraft, Medrano said.

The suspects bailed out and fled on foot and one suspect was arrested, while at least one suspect and the assault rifle were not located, Medrano said. The name of the person arrested was not released.

Deputies found the mortally wounded Starks at the corner of Spruce Street and Aranbe Avenue, and he was pronounced dead at the scene of multiple gunshot wounds.

One deputy who suffered graze wounds to his arm and shoulder during
the pursuit was treated at a hospital and released, Medrano said.

The black Escalade was armored and had bullet-proof windows, ABC7 said..

On July 5, the rapper posted on Twitter, “I was nowhere near the scene of this incident, I was in Hollywood recording in the studio all day. I was there until after midnight on the 4th of July and didn’t learn of these events until after they happened!”