Compton Community College District Publishes Redistricting Action Plan; Applications Being Accepted for Redistricting Committee
The Compton Community College District (CCCD) recently published its redistricting action plan as part of a public process to review and modify the elected trustee area boundaries.
Every 10 years, local community colleges, city councils, and other local agencies must adjust their elected trustee area boundaries in order to equalize the population. Currently, trustees in the CCCD must live in the trustee area they represent. Residents vote by “trustee area,” whereas, they may only vote for candidates who reside in their specific trustee area.
In September 2021, the CCCD initiated discussions on the process required to modify trustee area boundaries. Governing Boards of community college districts are required, by February 28, 2022, to adjust the boundaries of any or all trustee areas by using census population figures from the U.S. Department of Commerce’s Census Bureau decennial census of the country’s population conducted in 2020 and validated by the Population Research Unit of the California Department of Finance.
This month, the District is making a public request for applications from those who are interested in serving on the District’s Redistricting Committee. Interested applicants should submit a one-page letter of interest along with a resume, to Keith Curry, President/CEO of the Compton Community College District, at 1111 E. Artesia Boulevard, Compton CA 90221, or [email protected], by 4:30 p.m. on November 2, 2021. For more information, call 310-900-1600, Ext. 2000. The committee members will be appointed by the President/CEO of the Compton Community College District.
The CCCD Board of Trustees will schedule public hearings in January 2022, with plans to present a recommendation for new trustee area boundaries in February 2022.
REDISTRICTING ACTION PLAN
- Ratify contract for Map Consultants – Redistricting Partners at the October 19, 2021, Board meeting.
- Redistricting overview by Mapping Consultants – Redistricting Partners at October 19, 2021, Board meeting.
- President/CEO establishes a Compton CCD Redistricting Committee with representation from each Trustee Area. The committee will gather input and provide the strengths and weaknesses of each proposed map from the Mapping Consultants to the Board of Trustees relative to the District boundaries.
- Deadline for potential Compton CCD Redistricting Committee applicants to submit their resumes and cover letter to the President/CEO office. Publicize via President/CEO outreach to groups and organizations throughout the District; news releases, website, and social media.
- Schedule first Compton CCD Redistricting Committee meeting.
- Schedule second Compton CCD Redistricting Committee meeting.
- Schedule a public hearing on the Compton CCD Redistricting Plan and proposed map for the Compton CCD Trustee Areas at January 2022 Board meeting.
- Place a legal advertisement in the local newspapers announcing the January 2022 Redistricting public hearing. Publicize via news releases to media lists, including local, state, federal elected officials, school district boards and superintendents and chambers of commerce; also publicize on Compton College website and social media accounts.
- If needed, schedule a third Compton CCD Redistricting Committee meeting.
- Conduct public hearing on Compton CCD Redistricting Plan and proposed map for the Compton CCD Trustee Areas.
- Compton CCD Board of Trustees receives for review the proposed map for the Compton CCD Trustee Areas.
- Compton CCD Board of Trustees adopts, by resolution or ordinance, Compton CCD Trustee Areas.
- Submit new Trustee Areas to the Los Angeles County Recorder’s office before February 28, 2021 deadline.
1. Proposed Compton CCD Trustee Areas are effective for the November 2022 elections.
Please visit the District website for more information about the redistricting process at http://www.compton.edu/district/district_information/district-redistricting.aspx.