‘We Rise’ Event Offers Many Free, Public Programs & Activities This Memorial Day Weekend
The Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health-sponsored We Rise 10-day interactive event in downtown Los Angeles continues through Memorial Day weekend. The event is free and open to the public.
The event’s signature attraction is a massive walk-through gallery, featuring 150+ original pieces of art inspired by well-known artists’ experiences and feelings about mental health. The art is designed to encourage youth and family conversations about the subject and promote sharing on social media. Guided tours of the gallery are offered every 30 minutes.
The Memorial Day We Rise three-day weekend calendar highlights includes:
- Friday, May 25, 5:30 p.m.- Screening of Suicide: The Ripple Effect, a soon-to-be-released documentary about the devastating effects of suicide. Kevin Hines, the 19-year old followed in the film, will present.
- Daily from 10-11:30 a.m. – Free yoga, meditation and kids’ story time
- Saturday, May 26, 1-2 p.m. – No Room for Trolls: Addressing Online Bullying Culture – conversation and spoken word performance
- Saturday, May 26, 3:30-5:30 p.m. – Screening of film “Strong Island” and conversation with director Yance Ford
- Saturday, May 26, 8-9 p.m. – Banjee Ball dance event
- Sunday, May 27, 12-2 p.m. – Free dance workshop with Las Vegas’ Jabbawockeez
- Sunday, May 27, 4-5:30 p.m. – Survival Guide to Adulting – a mental health crash course for youth on surviving the transition to adulthood
- Sunday, May 27, 6:30 p.m. – Heaven is a Traffic Jam on the 405 screening and talk back with director Frank Stiefel and the film’s star and artist Mindy Alper
- Monday, May 28, 2-5:00 p.m. – Concert and BBQ Honoring Veterans – Concert will be headlined by a surprise special guest to be announced; tickets for free BBQ for all attendees on a first-come, first-serve basis
- Friday May 25 – 5 p.m. – 10 p.m.
- Saturday, May 26 – Monday, May 28 – 10 a.m.- 10 p.m.
1726 N. Spring Street, Downtown Los Angeles
FOR MORE INFORMATION, GO TO WhyWeRise.LA