Thursday, August 18, 2022
CLOSE
 
Kobe Bryant’s Widow Urges Judge to Allow Crash Photos Suit to Go Forward
By City News Service
Published December 9, 2021

Vanessa Bryant (Courtesy photo)

Vanessa Bryant says she felt “sick” and “extreme sadness and anger” when learning that Los Angeles County sheriffs and fire department personnel had allegedly snapped and shared gruesome photos
of the bodies of her late husband and the couple’s 13-year-old daughter at the scene of the helicopter crash that killed nine people, according to court
papers obtained.

The NBA legend’s widow is seeking millions of dollars in damages for
the severe emotional distress she alleges she suffered after discovering that
graphic digital images of the helicopter crash scene were passed around by
county personnel.

In a declaration filed late Monday, Bryant said the allegations
“caused me tremendous pain and distress.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Bryant’s attorneys are asking a federal judge to deny a defense
dismissal motion and allow the case to go forward. County attorneys argued in
court papers last month that Bryant’s claim of emotional distress caused by the
alleged sharing of the cellphone photos is based on “hypothetical harm” and
thus lacks standing since the images were never publicly circulated and she
never saw them.

Bryant responded that she is infuriated “that the people I trusted to
protect the dignity of my husband and daughter abused their positions to
obtain souvenirs of their deaths, as though possessing pictures of their
remains somehow makes them special. I imagine Kobe watching over what occurred
at that crash scene, and I am overcome with anger and emotion,” according to
the declaration.

In quotes apparently taken from his court-ordered deposition, Sheriff
Alex Villanueva said that taking and sharing such images was “wildly
inappropriate” and “disgusting” and revealed efforts to “take away a
trophy” from the scene of the deaths.

In its dismissal motion, the county says it is “undisputed that the
complained-of photos have never been in the media, on the Internet, or
otherwise publicly disseminated.” Consequently, Bryant’s claim of having to
fear the photographs surfacing does not constitute grounds for the complaint,
county attorneys contend.

A hearing in the matter is scheduled for Dec. 27 in Los Angeles
federal court. A jury trial is set for Feb. 22, if the case goes forward.

In a statement to City News Service, Skip Miller, outside counsel for
L.A. county, expressed sympathy for Bryant while denying that any crash scene
photos were circulated.

ADVERTISEMENT

“While the county sympathizes with Ms. Bryant’s tragic loss, it did
not cause the crash that claimed the lives of her husband and child,” he said.

“Rather, it responded to that crash and, at her specific request, set up a no-
fly zone, undertook extensive efforts to keep the public and paparazzi away,
and made sure none of the investigative photos were ever publicly disseminated.
The county did its job and believes there is no merit to this lawsuit.”

But Bryant’s attorneys paint a different picture.

“The close-up photos of Gianna and Kobe’s remains were passed around
on at least 28 LASD devices and by at least a dozen firefighters,” the
plaintiff’s attorneys wrote. “And that was only the beginning. The gratuitous
sharing continued in the following days and weeks and included such outrageous
conduct as flaunting the photos in a bar while pantomiming dismemberment and
showing off the photos over cocktails at an awards gala. One deputy guffawed
while sharing the photos; another described the crash victims’ remains as
`hamburger’ and `piles of meat.”’

Such alleged behavior resulting from the county’s “deliberate
indifference” is more than enough reason to allow the suit to go before a
jury, Bryant argued.

The widow contends the county — through its sheriff’s and fire
departments — violated her rights by taking and sharing photos of the Jan. 26,
2020, helicopter crash site. One of her allegations is that Villanueva, in
order to protect himself in the event of a lawsuit, ordered that evidence be
deleted from the phones of deputies who may have possession of crash scene
images.

In his deposition, Villanueva testified that he told his personnel to
get rid of the photos in order to ensure the graphic images were not shared,
which would cause additional harm to the suffering families of the victims,
according to county attorneys.

“I can tell you this,” the sheriff is quoted as saying under oath.

“That the problem at hand was images getting out and harming the families. I
make decisions based on the immediate threat, which is a harm that those
pictures can cause to the family. I don’t make a decision based on I might get
sued six months later. That’s preposterous.”

In a win for the county, U.S. Magistrate Judge Charles Eick ruled that
the 39-year-old Bryant must turn over her mental health records for the
past four years, which county attorneys contend are needed to fight the
lawsuit.

The county maintains there’s no evidence that “death images” were
shared within the sheriff’s or fire departments. When allegations of improper
photo sharing surfaced, “they took appropriate action. Every action was aimed
at preventing harm, not causing it,” defense documents state.

“Contrary to plaintiff’s claims, the photographs did not focus on the
remains of any of the victims but were general views of the crash scene
that first responders and investigators typically use to assess the damage
caused by tragic accidents such as this one,” according to the county. “None
of the photographs were sent to anyone outside the county, nor were they
publicly disseminated.”

The county alleges that the plaintiff’s emotional distress resulted
from the loss of family members, not the photos, which Bryant has never seen
and only learned about from newspaper reports.

Categories: News
Tags: | | | | | |

Get the Los Angeles Sentinel App!



Since 1933 The Voice of Our Community Speaking for Itself.
89 Years of LA Sentinel.
Black News.
SEARCH:    

Daily Brief

LA Sentinel
in your pocket:





TOS-Cookbook-Web

LA Watts Times

 
© 2022 Los Angeles Sentinel All Rights Reserved • A Bakewell Media Publication

AboutArchivesContact UsCorrections & MisprintsMedia Kit

Terms of ServicePrivacy Policy

LA Watts TimesTaste of Soul

Close / I'm already on the list

Subscribe Today!

Don't be limited anymore! Subscribe Now »

** Existing subscribers, please Login / Register for Digital »

Subscribe to The Los Angeles Sentinel for only $5.99 $3.99 per month, with 1 month free!

Relax in comfort each week as you read the printed newspaper on your own time, delivered weekly to your home or office. This subscription also includes UNLIMITED DIGITAL ACCESS for all of your devices. Includes FREE shipping! One easy payment of $3.99/month gets you:

Subscribe Now »