Friday, November 24, 2017
By Sentinel News Services
Published November 28, 2013


A man suspected of shooting an Inglewood police

officer responding to a domestic dispute who then holed up inside a home with

two hostages for more than eight hours surrendered tonight.

   According to KCAL9, police turned off the lights around the home about 9

p.m. and within 15 minutes the man had turned himself in. The two women in

the house with him — a woman described as his girlfriend and her 14-year-old

daughter, were also free.

   The shooting was reported around 12:40 p.m. near 108th Street and Fifth


    “Our officers received a call of a family disturbance in the area

here,” Inglewood police Lt. Oscar Mejia said. “Upon arrival, the officers

were confronted by an individual who engaged our officers in gunfire.”

   Mejia said two officers were injured, but only one was believed to have

actually been shot. The nature of the second officer’s injuries was not

immediately known.

   The officers were both taken to Centinela Hospital Medical Center and

were “doing fine,” Mejia said. At about 5 p.m., the officer who had been shot

— apparently hit in the chest but saved by his bulletproof vest — was

transferred by ambulance to Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, ABC7 reported.

   Mejia said he did not know the details of initial call that brought

officers to the scene, only that it was a “family disturbance.” Witnesses

told reporters at the scene that a teenage girl came out of the house

screaming, then the suspect came out and dragged her back inside.

   A Los Angeles County Fire Department inspector said paramedics responded

to the area in response to a shooting, but were not permitted to approach the

scene due to the possibility of an active shooter. He said one shooting victim

was apparently taken to a hospital by police.

   The gunman holed up inside the home after the shooting, during which

police did return fire. It was unknown if the suspect was injured.

   A neighbor told reporters that a man was firing a semi-automatic weapon

from the home, which is apparently owned by a woman who was inside the house

during the standoff. The witness said one officer was able to limp away after

the shooting broke out, but another appeared to be unconscious and had to be

carried away.

   The witness said the shooting was likely the result of a domestic

situation. She said brother of the woman who lives in the home contacted police

and was shouting from a nearby street corner, asking police to get his sister

out of the house.

   Several homes in the neighborhood were evacuated, and Mejia urged

residents who do not need to immediately return home to avoid the area.



Categories: News

Get the Los Angeles Sentinel App!


LA Sentinel
in your pocket:

© 2017 Los Angeles Sentinel All Rights Reserved • A Bakewell Media Publication

Contact UsAboutMedia KitCorrections & Misprints

Terms of ServicePrivacy Policy

LA Watts TimesTaste of Soul

Close / I'm already on the list

Subscribe Today!

Don't be limited anymore! Subscribe Now »

** Existing subscribers, please Login / Register for Digital »

Subscribe to The Los Angeles Sentinel for only $5.99 $3.99 per month, with 1 month free!

Relax in comfort each week as you read the printed newspaper on your own time, delivered weekly to your home or office. This subscription also includes UNLIMITED DIGITAL ACCESS for all of your devices. Includes FREE shipping! One easy payment of $3.99/month gets you:

Subscribe Now »