Friday, January 17, 2020
CLOSE
 
Carson Residents Rally Behind New Stadium
By City News Service
Published September 3, 2015
Artist’s rendering of proposed Carson stadium (courtesy photo)

Artist’s rendering of proposed Carson stadium (courtesy photo)

Stepping up their campaign to bring NFL football to Carson, city officials and other supporters rallied last week in front of the proposed site of a stadium that could house the San Diego Chargers and Oakland Raiders, saying there’s regional support for the effort. Officials also unveiled a large banner reading “Future Home of Professional Football” and renamed a street “Stadium Way” at the location near the San Diego (405) Freeway and Del Amo Boulevard.

“As people drive down the freeway or drive down the roads, they no longer have to wonder where football is going to be played,” Carson Mayor Albert Robles said.

Backers of the stadium displayed letters of support from officials in cities ranging from Los Angeles to Pico Rivera to Compton to show there is regional support for the stadium project. A competing stadium proposal is moving forward at the former Hollywood Park racetrack site in Inglewood, where St. Louis Rams owner Stan Kroenke is backing an NFL-ready facility. Moving any NFL franchise requires a vote from league owners.

The Raiders and Chargers have both been involved in talks in their respective cities for new stadiums. The teams joined forces on the $1.7 billion Carson proposal in case they are unable to reach deals. San Diego officials are proposing a $1.1 billion replacement for Qualcomm Stadium in Mission Valley in hopes of keeping the Chargers. The team, however, has been less than enthusiastic about the proposal, criticizing a fast- tracked environmental review of the project.

In Carson, stadium supporters collected thousands of signatures to get the stadium proposal directly before the City Council, bypassing the need for any extensive environmental reviews. The Carson City Council approved plans for the 72,000-seat stadium in April. An NFL team has not played in the Los Angeles area since 1994, when the Raiders and Rams relocated.

“Only God can address the water drought, but the city of Carson is going to do its best to make sure we address our football drought,” Robles said during the rally.

Categories: Local | News
Tags: | | |

Get the Los Angeles Sentinel App!



Since 1933 The Voice of Our Community Speaking for Itself.
87 Years of LA Sentinel.
Black News.
SEARCH:    
Videos


Photo of the Day

Events

LA Sentinel
in your pocket:





TOS-Cookbook-Web

LA Watts Times

© 2020 Los Angeles Sentinel All Rights Reserved • A Bakewell Media Publication

AboutArchivesContact UsCorrections & MisprintsMedia Kit

Terms of ServicePrivacy Policy

LA Watts TimesTaste of Soul

Close / I'm already on the list

Subscribe Today!

Don't be limited anymore! Subscribe Now »

** Existing subscribers, please Login / Register for Digital »

Subscribe to The Los Angeles Sentinel for only $5.99 $3.99 per month, with 1 month free!

Relax in comfort each week as you read the printed newspaper on your own time, delivered weekly to your home or office. This subscription also includes UNLIMITED DIGITAL ACCESS for all of your devices. Includes FREE shipping! One easy payment of $3.99/month gets you:

Subscribe Now »