Saturday, November 18, 2017
CLOSE
 
Protesters Rally Against Police Shootings in Los Angeles and the Nation
By City News Service
Published December 5, 2014

A group of protesters rallied against police shootings Monday in front of the Los Angeles Police Department’s Newton Station then marched to the spot where a 25-year-old man died in an officer-involved shooting. Some protesters carried signs reading “Ferguson is Everywhere” and “Police Brutality and Murder Must Stop.” (courtesy photo)

A group of protesters rallied against police shootings Monday in front of the Los Angeles Police Department’s Newton Station then marched to the spot where a 25-year-old man died in an officer-involved shooting. Some protesters carried signs reading “Ferguson is Everywhere” and “Police Brutality and Murder Must Stop.” The group of about three dozen people rallied in front of the police station, and drew chalk outlines of bodies on the sidewalk, labeling one Ezell Ford, who was killed by police in South Los Angeles on Aug. 11.

Protesters then marched from the station at 3400 Central Ave. toward West 65th Street and Broadway, where Ford was shot. Los Angeles police kept a close eye on the march along Central and Slauson avenues, instructing participants to avoid blocking traffic. At least one protester was seen being detained by police as they tried to keep marchers on one side of the street. According to Officer Drake Madison, two people were cited during the march, but no arrests were made.

Ford was shot two days after the Aug. 9 shooting of Michael Brown by police in Ferguson, Missouri. The South Los Angeles shooting sparked multiple protests and demands for a swift investigation. That probe is continuing. Mayor Eric Garcetti and LAPD Chief Charlie Beck said last month Ford’s autopsy would be made public by the end of the year.

Police said Ford was making “suspicious movements” so officers approached him, but the man turned and “grabbed one of the officers.” Police said Ford was reaching for one of the officers’ gun, so both officers — Sharlton Wampler and Antonio Villegas — opened fire. Ford’s family filed a $75 million federal lawsuit against the city in September, contending that Ford was shot while complying with police orders to lay on the ground.

Categories: Local

Get the Los Angeles Sentinel App!


SEARCH:    

LA Sentinel
in your pocket:






TOS-Cookbook-Web
© 2017 Los Angeles Sentinel All Rights Reserved • A Bakewell Media Publication

Contact UsAboutMedia KitCorrections & Misprints

Terms of ServicePrivacy Policy

LA Watts TimesTaste of Soul

Close / I'm already on the list

Subscribe Today!

Don't be limited anymore! Subscribe Now »

** Existing subscribers, please Login / Register for Digital »

Subscribe to The Los Angeles Sentinel for only $5.99 $3.99 per month, with 1 month free!

Relax in comfort each week as you read the printed newspaper on your own time, delivered weekly to your home or office. This subscription also includes UNLIMITED DIGITAL ACCESS for all of your devices. Includes FREE shipping! One easy payment of $3.99/month gets you:

Subscribe Now »