(L-R) John E. Page, President, National Bar Association, Allen J. Webster, Jr., Superior Court Judge State of California, County of Los Angeles, Kim K.W. Rucker, Executive Vice President, Corporate & Legal Affairs, Kraft Foods America, Karol Corbin Walker, Shareholder, LeClairRyan, Thomas J. Sabatino, Jr., Executive Vice President, General Counsel & Corporate Secretary, Walgreen Company, Angela Bassett, Academy-Award Nominated Actress and Star of Olympus Has Fallen, and Michael A. Lawson, Retired Partner, Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP
(L-R): Shannon Laoye, Gertrude E. Rush Scholarship Recipient, Thomas Jefferson School of Law Student, John E. Page, President, National Bar Association, Erin Grisby, Charles Hamilton Houston Scholarship Recipient, San Diego Law School Student
Photo Credit: Event Flick
The National Bar Association (NBA) presented its Gertrude E. Rush Awards during its 33rd Annual Gertrude E. Rush Award Dinner, which was held on Saturday, April 6, at the St. Regis Monarch Beach Resort & Spa in Dana Point, California.
Named for the only woman co-founder of the Association, the Gertrude E. Rush Award recognizes recipients for their pioneering spirits, community and professional leadership, concern for human and civil rights, and for being a model of excellence in the legal profession. Past recipients include: Attorney Johnnie L. Cochran, U.S. Congresswoman Barbara Jordan, U.S. Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor and former Attorney General Janet Reno.
The 2013 Gertrude E. Rush Award Recipients were:
• Michael A. Lawson, Retired Partner of Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP
• Kim K.W. Rucker, Executive Vice President, Corporate and Legal Affairs for Kraft Foods North America
• Thomas J. Sabatino, Jr., Executive Vice President, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary of Walgreen Company
• Brad Smith, General Counsel and Executive Vice President of Legal and Corporate Affairs for Microsoft Corporation
• Karol Corbin Walker, Shareholder for LeClairRyan
• Allen J. Webster, Jr., Superior Court Judge for the State of California, County of Los Angeles In addition to the presentation of the Gertrude E. Rush Awards, the NBA honored Academy Award nominee and star of the movie Olympus Has Fallen, Angela Bassett, and two-time Tony Award nominee Courtney B. Vance with the Heman Marion Sweatt and Humanitarian Awards for their inspiring and uplifting work.
NBA President John E. Page stated, “The National Bar Association is pleased to recognize individuals within the community and legal profession that continue to sustain the legacy of trailblazers such as Gertrude E. Rush and Heman Marion Sweatt. The 2013 Gertrude E. Rush and Heman Marion Sweatt Award recipients have contributed greatly to the legal profession and community and we are proud to honor them.”
The annual awards dinner featured a performance from Grammy nominated singer, Shanice Wilson and remarks from Andre Birotte, Jr., U.S. Attorney for the Central District of California. In addition to the presentation of the Gertrude E. Rush Awards, the National Bar Association presented $30,000 in Legacy Scholarships and book vouchers to second and third year law students. The scholarships honored the legacies of legal trailblazers Justice Thurgood Marshall, Charles Hamilton Houston and Gertrude E. Rush.