Kinecta Federal Credit Union, Nix Financial and MoneyGram International to Honor “Fathers of the Community”
On June 18, the Fathers of the Community breakfast will pay tribute to local men for their dedication to community and for being positive role models for youths
Councilman Bernard Parks to deliver keynote message
LOS ANGELES, Calif., June 10, 2011 – Nix Financial formerly Nix Check Cashing, a subsidiary of Kinecta Federal Credit Union, and MoneyGram International will pay tribute to five special men for their positive efforts to improve conditions in their communities with a “Fathers of the Community” breakfast on Saturday, June 18 at 9 a.m. at Maverick’s Flat, 4225 Crenshaw Boulevard in Los Angeles. In addition, each of the honorees will also receive $1,000 donated to their 501c3 charity of choice.
Councilman Bernard Parks will deliver the keynote speech for the breakfast, which will be attended by the Fathers of the Community honorees, community leaders, and representatives from Kinecta, Nix, MoneyGram and our media partners.
Many problems that exist in our communities such as gang violence, teen pregnancy and high school drop-out rates stem from the lack of positive male role models. Nix looked at this program and Father’s Day as an opportunity to highlight men who are making positive contributions to our youths.
The individual stories of the honorees are currently being highlighted with a series of vignettes on radio stations and congratulatory messages will appear in newspapers.
• Robert Yanez has always felt the need to ensure the communities where he lives, as well as where he works, are a safe area where youths can flourish. He regularly reads to young children at local schools. He also uses his free time to distribute food and toys to needy families. Yanez has made giving back a lifestyle choice and currently serves as a Senior Lead Officer, a community liaison position, for the Los Angeles Police Department’s Southeast Division. Yanez has been on the Department for over 20 years.
• Erich C. Nall, fondly known as “Coach E,” founded “Collegiate Search,” a program that offers tutorial support and academic assistance to help young people succeed in school and work towards earning a college degree. Coach E has assisted more than 5,000 students enroll in colleges and universities while serving as a mentor and father figure to hundreds of local young men and women.
• Ernie G, grew up in the barrios of East L.A. and had to make difficult choices between gangs or college. Ernie G. earned a B.A. degree in psychology and went on to become a nationally known comedian, community activist and lecturer. Ernie G. is the national spokesperson for the Hispanic College Fund and uses his comedic talent to spread his message of empowerment through education to students nationwide.
• Pastor Todd Grant of the Watts Powerhouse Church canvasses the community, promoting vital youth services that his church provides in education, health, life skills and the reduction of gang violence. A strong advocate of the “One church-One child Adoption Program,” Pastor Todd shows remarkable leadership by making his house of worship both a home and a sanctuary to community children in need.
• Keith “Sarge” Gibbs dedicated 22 years of service to his country in the Army and Marine Corps before founding Sarges Community Base Inc, a non-profit organization formed to develop and encourage young men and women to become leaders. By providing core values of family commitment and community responsibility, Sarge has educated and empowered youths through teaching service teamwork and discipline in a structured environment.
“We often celebrate mothers on Mother’s Day, but it’s rare when we recognize men in the community who are highly respected and admired role models,” said Mel Calloway, Executive Vice President of Nix Financial. “We are proud to partner with MoneyGram to express our appreciation to the honorees and all fathers in the community who are making a positive difference in the lives of their families and in their communities.”
Kinecta Federal Credit Union is one of the nation’s largest credit unions, with approximately $3.5 billion in assets and more than 220,000 members nationwide. Headquartered in Manhattan Beach, Calif., Kinecta offers its members a full range of financial products through the Credit Union and its subsidiaries, Kinecta Financial & Insurance Services, Apollo Insurance Services, and Kinecta Alternative Financial Solutions, dba Nix Financial. Kinecta Federal Credit Union is a not-for-profit, financial cooperative that is solely owned by its members. For more information about Kinecta, visit www.kinecta.org.
Nix Financial has 48 Nix customer service centers and 11 Kinecta at Nix locations throughout Southern California. Nix Financial operates one of the largest and most successful check cashing facilities in California, with a loyal customer base of 600,000. For over 40 years, Nix has supported local community-based organizations and programs, and proudly hires from within the community. For more information about Nix Financial, visit www.MyNixFinancial.com.
MoneyGram International, a leading money transfer company, enables consumers who are not fully served by traditional financial institutions to meet their financial needs. MoneyGram offers bill payment services in the United States and money transfer services worldwide through a global network of more than 233,000 agent locations—including retailers, international post offices and financial institutions—in more than 191 countries and territories. To learn more about money transfer or bill payment at an agent location or online, please visit www.moneygram.com or connect with us on Facebook.