Nearly five dozen allegations of misconduct by Los Angeles Police Department officers during recent protests against police brutality are being investigated, and seven employees have been removed from field duty, the department announced today.
Forty investigators have been assigned to look into “allegations of misconduct, violations of department policy and excessive force” during demonstrations spurred by the May 25 in-custody death of George Floyd in Minneapolis, according to an LAPD statement.
Of the 56 complaints currently being investigated, 28 are for alleged use of force, LAPD officials said.
No details were released regarding the seven employees assigned to non- field duties.
The department last week acknowledged viral videos showing some protesters struck by officers with batons or shot with rubber bullets.
“We are aware of individuals who have posted videos online and on social media depicting encounters with the police, that they believe constitutes excessive force or misconduct during these demonstrations,” the LAPD said in a statement last Thursday.
Three Los Angeles City Council members filed a motion Wednesday to increase the scope of a report regarding the police department’s use of force and crowd control tactics during the protests.