Preseason All-Sentinel Team
By Evan Barnes
Sentinel Sports Editor
QB: Jesse Scroggins (Lakewood, Sr.) – USC-bound quarterback became one of the fastest prospects in the nation this summer
RB: DeAnthony Thomas (Crenshaw, Jr.) - Fastest kid in the City is poised for another strong season.
RB: James McConico (Compton, Sr.) – In a year deep with tailbacks, he’s perhaps the most underrated despite a state best 17.1 yards per carry last year.
WR: Paul Richardson (Serra, Sr.) - Along with junior George Farmer, this Los Alamitos transfer adds one more weapon to Serra’s potent attack.
WR: Tevin Carter (Santee, Sr.) – City 200m Champion burst on the scene last spring and is the first Santee player to sign with a Div. I program (California)
LB: Hayes Pullard (Crenshaw, Sr.) - Two-time All-City selection has a nose for the ball and the speed to get there.
LB: Patrick Wooten (LA Jordan, So.) – Make a huge imprint as a freshman last year for Bulldogs, bright future ahead for this young talent.
LB: Kileon Cooper (Locke, Sr.) – All-City selection last year can also double as tight end for the Saints
DL: James Brock (Crenshaw, Jr.) – Had a strong finish to last season and is poised for an even bigger junior campaign
DL: Dak Smith (Westchester, Sr.) - A beast at 6-8, 340 lbs., the son of USC lineman Tody Smith will be a terror on either side of the ball.
DL: Marcus Howard (Inglewood, Sr.) - Reminds some of another Inglewood product, current NFL’er and former USC standout Laurence Jackson
DL: Brent Williams (Taft, Sr.) - He and highly touted junior Antuan Woods anchor the City’s best defensive line.
DB: Sean Parker (Narbonne, Sr.) - Hard-hitting, playmaking defensive back is one of the best in the nation
DB: Bryan Douglas (Narbonne, Sr.) - Parker may get all the attention, but that’s just enough for him to surprise folks with his own ability as well.
DB: Charles Garrett (Dorsey, Sr.) - Another breakout star who’ll be worthy of your attention.
Deshawn Beck (LA Jordan, Sr.), DJ Morgan (Taft, Sr.), Robert Woods (Serra, Sr.) - Beck has been an All-City wideout switching to quarterback this year, the USC-bound Morgan is arguably the City’s best all-around weapon at RB/DB and his future college teammates Woods is state’s best all-around weapon at WR/DB/punt returner
Preseason Top 10
1. Crenshaw - Arguably the most talented team in the City and returns majority of starters from last year. Friday night against Lakewood will say a lot about where they rank in the region.
2. Serra - Best WR corps in the state along with transfer junior QB Conner Preston should find its way to a 3rd showdown with Westlake Village Oaks Christian in CIF playoffs.
3. Lakewood - Even without tailback Jerry Stone, still a formidable bunch led by QB Jesse Scroggins, WR Kevin Anderson, DB Dion Bailey. Best chance to end Poly’s 15-year winning streak in league.
4. Long Beach Poly – Could be a down year for the reigning Pac-5 champs and murderous pre-league schedule (Servite, St. Bonaventure, Narbonne, Oceanside) could be brutal. But cant count them out.
5. Narbonne – Defending Co-City champs have City’s best secondary but how much of a difference will transfer QB Chad Dashnaw be?
6. Taft – Their already tough defense got better with transfer Lucky Radley and with DJ Morgan on offense, they will be hard to handle come playoff time.
7. Carson - My pick for City’s most improved team/sleeper, be wary of their athletic prowess after a strong summer in the passing tournament.
8. L.A. Jordan – More players than last year and a creative offensive scheme will make the Bulldogs fun to watch.
9. Venice - A return to their passing game could make the Gondos a formidable opponent come playoff time.
10. Compton – The Hub City’s best team may be under the radar but that could change after Oct. 2 meeting with Lakewood.