Two more weeks 'til the playoffs and the contenders are starting to take shape. On to the rankings leading into Week 9
1. Long Beach Poly (8-0): Compton might be the last remaining challenge before the Pac-5 playoffs so expect the Jackrabbits to send their final salvo now that their passing game is finding consistency.
2. Gardena Serra (8-0): There will be a royal flush at tomorrow's game with the Knights of Bishop Montgomery but the Cavaliers hold the aces with playmakers Carl Winston and Robert Woods.
3. Narbonne (7-1): Tomorrow's game with Gardena is the last chance for the Gauchos to fine-tune that red-hot offense before they face Carson in two weeks.
4. Compton (8-0): The Tarbabes only want revenge after last year's heartbreaking homecoming loss. A better performance this year will please me just fine.
5. Taft (7-1): Only thing that could slow them down tomorrow against El Camino Real is looking ahead to Birmingham and tailback DJ Morgan losing his shoes before gametime.
6. Loyola (5-3) – A victory over an overrated Bishop Amat squad was nice but they'll get more props if they do the same to undefeated Sherman Oaks Notre Dame Saturday
7. Crenshaw (5-2): Tomorrow's game against Jefferson might be the only significant loss the Democrats have during this election week.
8. San Pedro (7-1): The Pirates ransacked Banning and now dock their ships at home to wait for a date with Washington.
9. Carson (4-4): The Colts may be banged up but has plenty of heart, so don't count them out. They'll try to put more dents in Banning's airplane tomorrow.
10. L.A. Jordan (4-4): It's a battle of the Bulldogs as they face Garfield tomorrow then root for them to beat Roosevelt next week to force a 3-way tie for the league title.