As we approach the fourth quarter of 2008 and a presidential election that threatens to create change which could move the nation forward, there are a few things that are roiling in the back of my head and in the media that I just want to share.
In another Top Ten List, here are More Top Ten Random Questions:
1. Why won't those morons abandon the Stop Snitching Campaign?
I was hoping this was a joke and/or confined to a few boneheads in New York City. Sadly, it won't die even though some people are dying and others are refusing to serve as witnesses to bring about justice.
Refusing to snitch on people who commit crimes is neither noble nor practical. It is neither sophisticated nor heroic. In fact, it is about the most bitch-made behavior that people could possibly pursue.
2. Can someone explain to me why women (especially Black women) think that supporting Palin will in any way further the cause of women?
This woman is Ultra-Conservative (including being anti-Roe v. Wade) and if she had her druthers, would roll back the accomplishments of women in this nation over the past century. She can see Russia from her front yard and I can see the devil when she speaks.
3. Why is the media constantly comparing Hurricane Ike to Katrina to downplay the death and destruction?
So, okay Ike isn't wreaking nearly the havoc of Katrina, but if it is your family in distress, does it matter? Damage is damage and loss of life is loss of life.
4. Would it be possible for people to have a real discussion about the validity of Global Warming?
Is it just me, or has anyone else done any research into the weather patterns of the earth over time? It seems to me that the earth has gone through warming and cooling patterns as a natural course of things, as opposed to some planet-ending series of events. I could be wrong, but hey, so could the Global Warming proponents. Hell, I still don't believe my ancestors evolved from apes.
5. Are we supposed to be dancing in the streets now that gas prices have begun to come down?
Hell, get those prices under two dollars and I'll be the first one in the middle of the street with a tuxedo dancing like Fred Astaire. Until then, I still feel like I'm getting screwed when I pull up to the pump.
6. Why Did I Actually Like Tyler Perry's new movie, The Family That Preys Together?
Lawd only knows that Meet the Browns was so God awful, I nearly threw up. Now, if we can only get him to kill everyone on that Coonfest called "House of Payne…."
7. Why does anyone care about that fool OJ Simpson?
This loony senior citizen was foolish enough to think he could posse up and gangster somebody-hell he deserves to go to jail. I'm just tired of seeing his ignorant ass anyway. He still doesn't understand that he's on trial for chasing white girls. The court of public opinion has found him guilty and would love to see him jail.
8. Why the hell are we propping up Welfare Queens?
Ha! I'm sure you thought I meant women on Welfare, when I was actually talking about Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.
While both institutions were initially launched by the US Government, both eventually became privatized. Now that they are failing, the government is bailing them out. Of course, we can all come up with reasons why they absolutely must be salvaged, but the reality is that goofy people talk poorly about average citizens who need help, yet have no problem with abuse of government funding directed towards military spending or corporate bailouts.
The housing industry, regulators and the media saw the subprime lending scam bring on the housing disaster, but no one did anything to stop it.
9. Now that Bush's administration draws to an end (unless McSame is elected), why is the warmongering idiot pretending to want an end to conflict in the Middle East?
I don't for one hot minute believe that Bush sincerely wants to create a viable timeline for US military exit from the Middle East. It's simply empty posturing to match the verbiage of Senator Barack Obama.
10. Is anyone really concerned that Oprah will lose a measurable portion of her majority white female audience for not supporting Hillary and now, for not supporting Palin?
In addition to not caring, she panders so hard to her audience, that even if she takes a major hit, she'll bounce right back after the election.
As always, these questions were posed to stimulate healthy discussion amongst those with active brain cells. If you take them personally, or really don't understand, please just walk away and be quiet.
Darryl James is an award-winning author of the forthcoming powerful anthology "Notes From The Edge." Discounted Autographed and Numbered Pre-Release copies can be ordered at www.darryljames.com. He released his first mini-movie, "Crack," and this year, will release his first full-length documentary. View previous installments of this column at www.bridgecolumn.proboards36.com. Reach James at firstname.lastname@example.org.