It's the final week of the regular season so here are the next-to-last rankings of the year.
1. Long Beach Poly (9-0): Only Long Beach Jordan stands between them and the No. 1 seed in the Pac-5 playoffs, regardless of how good Sherman Oaks Notre Dame is.
2. Gardena Serra (9-0): If speed kills, call the police and send them to Cathedral Friday where the state's fastest kid (Randall Carroll) will face Serra's fast, physical defense. Get yer stopwatches ready.
3. Narbonne (8-1): The Marine League is up for grabs when the Gauchos head to Carson looking for revenge after last year's 35-31 defeat.
4. Taft (8-1): Was their six-point victory over El Camino Real a sign of trouble? We'll see when they face rival Birmingham tonight for a Valley showdown.
5. San Pedro (7-1): A late flip-flop in the poll since I campaigned for the Pirates to have a high seed in the City playoffs. One more defensive stand against Gardena coming right up.
6. Crenshaw (6-2): Don't be mad Cougar fans. Just beat Manual Arts and then air out your grievances once the playoff seedings are announced.
7. Compton (7-1): Dropping three spots after Poly thrashed them, they need to regroup against Lakewood at home without suspended safety Chris Metcalf.
8. Carson (5-4): There's a lot riding on tomorrow's game and you can bet nobody is overlooking the Colts' chances to upset Narbonne.
9. L.A. Jordan (5-4): They may defeat South Gate tomorrow, but they need to root for Garfield to win the East LA Classic to force a 3-way tie for first place.
10. Birmingham (5-4): The Patriots finally fight their way into the Top 10 and if they beat Taft, the reigning City champs just became a bigger player in the playoff race.