Having good parents as role Models and teacher is critical for our children. It's important to understand that children are born wanting to do the right thing. It's up to the adults in their lives to provide good leadership and be their teachers. As adults, we have an overwhelming responsibility that goes far beyond providing food, shelter and clothing. If we are to spoil our children, it should be with time and love, not designer clothes, electronics, or freedom from the caring eyes of watchful parents. We give our kids everything and wonder why they're not satisfied. I think it's because they need to feel needed, they need to know that they are truly important to someone they love. This lets them understand that they are helpful, capable and necessary. Where upon, expectations are everything to a child. We have to raise our expectations and the children will rise to them.
Parents are responsible for giving life mentally, as well as physically. Mentally, of course, by planting the seeds of knowledge. Kids develop on the basis of information they receive about themselves. If they are taught that, they are people of dignity, strength, and important to the future of mankind, then given examples of such characteristics from their parents. They will become dignified, strong, and our best future. There is no doubt that our kids face unprecedented pressures, which were unheard of only a few decades ago. Parents have to represent and teach new manners, disciplines and self-control to our children in this chaotic and undisciplined world. Children will be influenced by many people and things in their lives. However, a parent's imprint is the most influential.
• Parents must represent integrity to better effectively instill integrity into their children.
• Parents must represent self-esteem to better effectively instill self-esteem into their children. • Parents must represent financial intelligence to better effectively instill financial intelligence into their children. • Parents have to represent courage to better instill courage into their children.
• Parents have to represent respect to better instill respect into their children.
• Parents have to represent dignity to better instill dignity into their children.
• Parents have to represent self-discipline to better instill self-discipline into their children. I personally think that self-discipline is the most important because, if parents choose not to discipline their children, Judges and Wardens will end up doing it. These few philosophical values represent the foundation for raising good and responsible children. I recognize the many different styles and customs on raising children. However, I underscored some of the ones I believe to the most fundamentally sound. And I strongly subscribe to the notion that kids need parental role models that best represent these values, because children have a unique way of representing the best, and the worst, of the adults they are mostly around. The old adage, "Do as I say not as I do", no longer applies in the 'Action speak louder then words' era.
Jeorald Pitts a.k.a. Lil Tone Tone Is the author of the book "To Bang or Not 2 Bang-A book of questions". Mr. Pitts can be contacted at