1. Serra (7-0)… did a 36-0 number on Chaminade, after posting a 63-7 stamp on Harvard Westlake the week before. They don’t crown champs in October, though!
2. Long Beach Poly (6-1)…four shutouts in a row and six straight since the Servite debacle, which now turns out the be the best thing that happened to the J Rabbits. Will visit Millikan this week for a game against the improving Rams.
3. Venice (5-2)…so much for Uni, Gondos polish off University and have sights set on Fairfax this week where the improving Lions have upset on their minds.
4. Narbonne (5-2)…Gauchos eked out a 12-11 win against San Pedro to improve to 2-0 in the rough and tumble Marine League
5. Crenshaw (3-4)…Cougars can draw even in the win-loss column this week, but is arguable the best under .500 team in the state. Face winless West Adams this week to accomplish just that.
6. Loyola (4-4)… that embarrassing 32-14 defeat to Crespi has a lot of people scratching their heads. This is a Cubs team that lost to Harvard Westlake, beat Alemany and now this! Go figure.
7. Carson (3-4)…boy this poll is beginning to look like the boys who barely reached .500 club, but what can you say? Carson is now in a first place tie with Narbonne in the Marine League and both beat San Pedro.
8. San Pedro (4-3)… the Pirates have lost two league games by a total of 7 points, but now have to win out to finish at 3-2 in the Marine. A third place finish in the city’s most competitive and balanced league may get to an 8 or 9 seed.
9. Redondo Union (5-2)…Sea Hawks didn’t just lose to West Torrance, they got hosed 37-7 and it probably wasn’t that close. Another one of those and they are out of here.
10.West Torrance (6-1)…that win over Redondo last week was more than just an eye opener, I been hearing from tons of people saying how good this team really is.